Franklin Building ~ Chicago IL ~ Printers Row ~ Sign
Image by Onasill ~
Designed in 1912 by George C. Nimmons, 720 South Dearborn Street was built in 1916 by the Franklin Printing Company and housed presses until 1983. It is a fine example of the ‘Chicago School’ style of architecture. In 1987 the Franklin Building was purchased from the Borg-Warner Corporation for .7 million by developer Duncan Henderson who recognized the building's unusual architectural features and potential. In 1976, Henderson moved to Chicago from New York City where he had lived in a loft in SoHo. He became a pioneer of loft development in Printers Row when he and architect Harry Weese rehabbed the Donohue Building (711 – 727 S. Dearborn Street) in 1977.
The 14-story Franklin Building underwent an extensive million renovation. The structure's interior was gutted and 65 residential units were created. The restored Franklin Building opened for occupancy in September 1989, the last major renovation of loft space on Printers Row, the two-block area along Dearborn Street, beginning south of the Congress Parkway and ending at the Dearborn Station.
South Dearborn Street-Printing House Row North Historic District
U.S. National Register of Historic Places
U.S. National Historic Landmark District
Tags:Building, chicago, Franklin, Printers, sign