Chicago: Fine Arts Building

Chicago: Fine Arts Building
interior design chicago

Image by wallyg
Although now associated with fine art and culture, the Fine Arts Building was originally commissioned by Studebaker Brothers Manufacturing to house a wagon carriage shoroom and designed by Solon S. Beman and completed in 1885. Converted in 1898, three floors were added along with an interior redesign. With its columns, rough stone, and arched entranceway and windows, the building is typical of the Romanesque style. The interior public spaces, including murals on the 10th floor, remain virtually untouched from the remodeling.

The Fine Arts Building was designated a landmark by the Chicago Department of Planning and Development on June 7, 1978. The Historic Michigan Boulevard District, which stretches along Michigan Avenue between 11th and Randolph Streets, was designated on February 27, 2002.

National Register #75000653 (1975)

Tags:arts, Building, chicago, Fine


Post a Comment